View all facilities

Gainey Park

Documents

Park Permit Form (PDF)

Parks Amenities Grid (PDF)

Other Link Park Policies

Features

  1. ADA Accessible
  2. Fireplace
  3. Pavilion
  4. Picnic Areas
  5. Picnic Shelters
  6. Picnic Tables
  7. Playground
  8. Restrooms
  9. Tables

Overview


On November 6, 1957 the Gainey Foundation conveyed to the City of Owatonna this tract of land which would become identified as Walter H. Gainey Park (Gainey Park). The Gainey Foundation was especially interested in the happiness of Owatonna children and wanted to create a park with a children’s playground. In addition, the Gainey Foundation paid for 50% of the costs for both installations of play apparatus in 1959 and 1973, and the restroom facility built in 1963.

In 1994, a generous gift was made to the city of Owatonna by Patricia Cashman Gainey in memory of her husband Walter H. Gainey and her parents Michael R. and Mary Quinn Cashman. The gift included financing two handicapped accessible facilities at Gainey Park, a children’s playground equipment area and picnic pavilion, complete with fieldstone fireplace and restrooms. The gift also provided for the construction of a bicycle/pedestrian bridge across the Straight River, known as Cashman Crossing. The bridge is directly east of Gainey Park and connects Kaplan’s Woods Parkway with Gainey Park and Prairie Park. The playground equipment area built in 1994 represented the first fully handicapped accessible play equipment area in the city.

Rentals

  • All day - $75
  • Deposit - $50
  • Half-day (6 a.m. to 2 p.m. or 3 to 11 p.m.) - $50