View all facilities

Central Park

Documents

Park Permit Form (PDF)

Parks Amenities Grid (PDF)

Other Link Park Policies

Features

  1. Handicap Accessible
  2. Picnic Grounds
  3. Restroom
  4. Stage

Overview


The 1.5 acres of Central Park was acquired December 26, 1855. The area was a low spot, a swamp, which was not suitable for other uses. Thus, it was that this area was designated as a public square in the original plat of the City. The fountain in the center of the park was placed there in 1909. The park was originally in an oval shape, but due to the state law requiring the park be squared off to provide for signal lights, the park was changed to its present form in 1948. An underground irrigation system was placed in the park in the fall of 1967.

Development / Restoration


During the late 1960s and early 1970s the Owatonna Park and Recreation Board pursued the re-development of Central Park, with estimated costs in excess of $100,000. After approximately five years of considerable discussion, the ideas were tabled.

In 1977, the Owatonna Park and Recreation Board undertook a public fund drive to raise $10,000 for the restoration of the fountain. Not only was the fountain restored, but night lighting, a spray ring, and a water recirculation system were added to the fountain. In addition, the wooden band stand was removed from the park due to its age, size, and limited usage.

Usage


At present, Central Park is used for numerous special events, including summer band concerts, and is used on a daily basis by downtown employees as a luncheon spot during the non-snow season. During the Christmas season, the park transforms into a beautiful display of Christmas lights.