Since our programs and events have been cancelled or postponed, we wanted to provide you with resources to make your time at home as fun, healthy and enriching as possible.
Below you’ll find links to online resources, videos and various ideas to help keep you and your kids active, engaged and having fun! This list is being updated often, check back for more fun and healthy ideas!
Park & Rec:
- COVID-19 Crazy Hair Contest - Show us how much you’re missing your salon services! Post a picture of your or your child’s crazy hairstyle on our Facebook page or email your photo by June 8 to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The hairstyles will go to a vote and the winner will receive a free mini-photography session from Lauren Everhard Photography and a $25 gift certificate to Bella Vita Salon!
- Stronger Together 50K Virtual Competition
Help JUMPSTART Owatonna, get fit and earn a commemorative medal!
- Any age and location can compete. (If you don’t live in Owatonna, don’t worry, we will ship your medal). A $5 shipping fee is required if you’d like your medal shipped.
- You can do any workout or activity you want at your own pace.
- Sign up to participate (under Events) and to receive your commemorative medal between May 13th and May 31st. Once you sign up, you can begin logging your activity.
- $15 per person.
- Track your mileage/minutes of activity from the time you sign up through June 30.
- Submit your log to email@example.com by July 10.
- Earn a STRONGER TOGETHER Medal.
- Who does this benefit? Proceeds from this competition will go to Jumpstart Owatonna. Your donation will help stabilize Owatonna’s small business owners facing significant financial challenges and help bridge the gap for small local business facing economic hardship as a result of this pandemic.
- Park Passport
- Signs will be up for 4 weeks at 10 different parks and trails beginning May 20.
- Get your passport and trail maps.
- Visit the parks listed and find the hidden password. Parks will have a small sign mounted to a post along the trail. The signs are approximately 2’-4’ from the ground. Each sign has a word on the back. All signs will be up from May 20 through June 17.
- Reveal the phrase! Write the hidden password for each park/trail in the appropriate box to reveal the message. Submit your completed passport by June 19.
- Owatonna Fish Tales - Fish the waters of Lake Kohlmier and Lake Chase through May 31 and share your catch for a chance to win a $10 Caleba’s gift card. Email your photo to Maryjo.Knudson@ci.owatonna.mn.us
- Bat Box BINGO - Get your Bat Box BINGO card - Complete a BINGO and be entered into a drawing for $5 off a future Park & Rec registration! Submit your BINGO here.
- Nature Walk Scavenger Hunt
- Visit our Facebook page for additional activities
West Hills Social Commons:
- West Hills Social Commons is offering many virtual activities such as BINGO, poker, cribbage and more to keep you engaged and active. Visit their Facebook page for current activities.
Sports and Fun For Kids:
- Baseball drills for at home - Owatonna Baseball
- Softball drills for at home - Softball Drills for Kids
- Soccer drills for at home - Soccer Drills for Kids
- Outdoor Activities from MN DNR
- Get Gooey - Learn How to Make Homemade Slime
- Crafts for any skill level - Quick and Easy Craft Projects
- Fun games, recipes, crafts, activities - Highlights Kids
- Free at-home kids yoga lesson plans - Little Twisters Yoga
- Story time and online activities - Owatonna Public Library
- Edina Public Schools has created an incredible Virtual Calming Space. It’s chock-full of wonderful mental and physical wellness tools, for kids and their grown-ups.
- On-demand fitness program from the YMCA for adults and kids - Y360
- Core Power Yoga
- Workout videos - OrangeTheory Fitness
- Videos of varying intensities, including a “Fit over 50” section - Gold’s Gym
- Workout videos - Fitness Blender
- Workout videos, including single exercises and drills - CrossFit
- 60 Minute Workout for Older Adults - GoForLife Workout
- Sleep, stress, meditations, gratitude resources, resources for kids - Calm
- Assorted kindness/positivity resources - Random Acts of Kindness Foundation
- Meditation, movement, and sleep exercises - Headspace
- Tips for reducing stress during the pandemic - Stress Help from the CDC
- Virtual Sudoku
- Virtual Games - AARP Games
- Language Courses - BBC Languages
- Learn How to Play Chess - YouTube
- Learn How to Play Checkers - YouTube
- Chair Exercises for Older Adults
- Memory Games
Virtual Tours and Shows
- Watch a Live Stream of the Northern Lights
- Virtual Tours of National Parks:
- Virtual Tours of Farms - FarmFood 360
- Tour the San Diego Zoo
- Smithsonian Museums Tours